Who’s poor ?
Is it someone who has no money ? Not necessarily. Of course there are a lot of people who lack of money nowadays. But alas, there are way more people who are poor in other ways.
- Poverty comes from the absence of a spiritual or political ideal.
- Poverty comes from the absence of relationships.
- Poverty comes from the lack of culture.
- Poverty comes from not being heard, having to submit oneself to someone, being despised.
- Poverty comes from the loss of honor or dignity.
Someone is poor when they listen but are never listened to, be it by their teacher, their headmaster, their neighboor, their spouse, or even their children.
Who’s rich ?
Is someone rich because they have money ? Not necessarily. True wealth comes from elsewhere.
- Riches come from having a spiritual or political ideal.
- Riches come from contributing to more justice and brotherhood.
- Riches come from wanting more to give than to receive.
- Riches come from knowledge.
- Riches comes from being loved, listened to, respected.
Who am I ? I’m probably rich. So let’s meditate on this verse from Thimothy.
As for the rich in this present age, charge them not to be haughty, nor to set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly provides us with everything to enjoy. They are to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share. 1 Thimothy 17a-18
I wish you all a very thoughtful day with this in mind.
Let’s take care of ourselves.
See you around !